TV Shows I Waited WAY TOO LONG to Start Watching
- @midnight. – I don’t know why it took me so long to start watching this since I love all things Nerdist. (I had an epic crush on Chris Hardwick back before he was king of the nerds and hosting Singled Out.) This show is beyond hilarious. I’ve laughed out loud through every episode I’ve watched.
- House of Cards. - Political dramas aren’t really my thing so while this show has been on my to watch list for a while now, it hasn’t been a priority. We’re three episodes in now though, and I’m hooked. Kevin Spacey is amazing.
Podcasts I Waited WAY TOO LONG to Start Listening
- NPR’s Pop Culture Happy Hour – I actually tried to listen to this one in that past because I know many people who love it, but I struggled to get in to it. I now realized my problem was I was listening to old episodes. Pop culture is decidedly less interesting when it’s not timely.
- NPR’s Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me – This is actually part of an effort I’m making to keep up with the news. I’m now completely hooked, and really want to go see this live. (I work 2 blocks from the theather and regularly go to the building to get India food for lunch.)
TV Shows I’m Super Excited About a New Season
- Orphan Black – I started watching this show completely on a whim. It airs on Saturday night after Doctor Who so we’d seen commercials for it, but never actually watched. I couldn’t find it on any streaming platforms so I ended up actually getting the DVDs through Netflix. We were hooked on the first episode. The new season starts April 19th (10 days!!). Oh and if you’re interested (and you should be!) Season 1 is now available through Amazon Prime Instant Video.
- Doctor Who – I love Doctor Who, and I’m excited to start the adventure with a new Doctor.
Weekend Events Un-Related to TV (and Unintentionally Related) to the Wedding that I’m Super Excited About
- The engagement party his family is throwing for us. Despite my feelings that it’s probably not necessary to have an engagement party 4 months into an 11 month engagement, it will be really nice to have all of our family together in one place.
- Going dress shopping with my brideslaves, er, bridesmaids. Since my sister-in-law (and co-Matron of honor) will be in town for the engagement party, I decided to round up the rest of my local girls to go dress shopping. I’m mostly just excited to hang out with everyone. The dress shopping is kind of secondary to that.
Signs Spring Might Actually be Arriving in Chicago…Maybe.
These gladiolas starting to pop through in my sad, sad flower bed.
- I went for a run after work yesterday in just capris and a t-shirt!
In an effort to keep myself engaged and accountable via social media, I’m going to start a weekly wrap up with my workouts, weigh-in, etc.
Eats: MyFitnessPal Food Diary
I was sick over the weekend and at beginning of the week so my planned workouts for the weekend and Monday were replaced with the couch, tv, and sleeping. I also had two unplanned happy hours for work which led to missed workouts.
Sunday sick day
Monday sick day
Tuesday Plank a Day and 30 minute HardCORE Yoga
Wednesday Plank a Day, 20 minute Yoga for Weight Loss and 30 minutes of walking and jogging with Maxwell dog
Thursday rest day
Friday unplanned rest day
Saturday Trainer appointment and Plank a Day
Weight: 162.8 down .2lbs from last week.
Goals for next week: Get at least two morning workouts in.
When I posted my April goals last week, I completely forgot to include the fact that I’m participating in the YogaDownload 21-Day Bootcamp Challenge. (I’m skipping the cleanse part, but I am planning to add some juice and/ or smoothies to my daily routine. ) Last January I did a 21-day challenge through the site, and I loved it. I loved the feeling of practicing daily, but as it happens, things got busier (and I wasn’t getting a pre-selected class and email reminder,) and I slowly fell away from daily practice into weekly practice into maybe a couple time a month into I don’t remember the last time I practiced.
So when I saw the challenge posted on Facebook, I decided to jump on it. (It also helped that they were offering their Elite Membership for $10.) Yesterday was the first class, and it was their HardCORE Yoga. Tuesdays are my busy days so I did the 30 minute class, and that was more than enough for my body. I’m really looking forward to rebuilding my strength, stamina and flexibity with this challenge.
I’ve been in a serious funk lately. I don’t know if it’s the never.ending.winter. or what, but I can’t seem to keep a grasp on my motivation. It’s lurking right below the surface, but I can’t seem to get it to bubble up. It’s an odd through the looking glass situation.
I also haven’t been making much effort either though. I just keep putting it off. I tell myself I’m going to get up early and work out, and instead of just fucking doing it, I make an excuse and tell myself I’ll do it after work. Then when I get home from work, and I fine an excuse and tell myself I’ll do it in the morning. And it’s not just work-outs either, I’ve taken a sort of ‘meh’ attitude to everything the last couple. I would sit down to blog and have nothing I felt was worth saying (though I have been blogging about wedding planning over on the private forums at Offbeat Bride .) I’d open Twitter, get overwhelmed by the number of unread tweets, mark them all as read and close it. I couldn’t tell you the last time I looked at my feed reader.
Maybe it’s the extra brutal winter and my usual plummet into not quite, but almost maybe legitimate depression. Maybe it’s some sort of self-sabotage. I don’t know, and at this point I don’t think I care. At this point I just need to start taking action. I need to start re-engaging myself. I need to start using my blog and my social media and my people to keep me accountable. I need to get back to setting goals and giving a crap about those goals.
So April goals then.
- Half Marathon training – I mentioned on Twitter I signed up for a half marathon on May 4th. This was one of the half a dozen nice-ish days I was delusional enough to think twinter wasn’t going to extend in to April. Then it did. I haven’t done much training. My fitness levels are fine so I’m not worried about that aspect, but I am worried about injurying myself because my body isn’t used to running. TL;DR version, I need to spend the next month taking training seriously so I don’t bust my shit.
- Plank-a-Day – and share it on social media to keep my in check.
- Lose 5lbs. I spotted making specific weight loss goals a while ago, but I feel like in order to start taking it seriously again and actually get to my goal, I need to start setting very specific goals with specific time frames.
- Stay engaged on the blog and social media – I haven’t quite formulated a plan on this one. I might go back to weekly weigh-ins and/ or workout summaries. I might do more Instagram check-ins. I’m working on this still. If you notice me falling off the face of the internet, feel free to poke me in the eye. Oh, and if you’re not already following me…now would be the time to get on that! Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, MyFitnessPal, Runkeeper
I during the entire month of January, I kept telling myself I was going to sit down and post my goals for the year. It’s now almost February, and I’ve barely even finished my list of goals for the year.
- Reach my goal weight. No, really. This has been one of my goals for the last, oh, 5 years now. I’ve got a lot of fresh motivation for 2014: I’m turning 30, going on a cruise in June and rocking a wedding dress in December! I’ve defintiely been feeling more driven in the last three weeks than I think I have in the last 3 years!
- Get married Okay, so this is kind of a cheater goal since deposits have been made and dresses have been pruchased, but I guess you never know, right?
- Plan and execute my wedding without sinking us in to debt. Neither of us have carried credit card debt, and I’m not really interested in starting now. I can also see how wedding spending could spiral out of control very quickly. We’ve talked about our priorities in terms of where we want the biggest chunks of our budget to go so I just need to make sure I’m sticking to the smaller budgets I’ve set for the less important things.
- Complete a triathlon This is something I’ve wanted to do for 3 or 4 years now, but I’ve always been so focused on running it just never happened. Plus it was easier to focus on running since it doesn’t push me out of my comfort zone. I’ve been doing a lot more cross training lately, and I’ve even gotten back into the pool. I was originally thinking the Grand Rapids Triatholon would be a hell of a way to ring in my 30th birthday, but the date might not be great considering it’s only a few days before the cruise leaves.
- Run the Chicago Marathon This is kind of a big one and maybe even a little crazy considering I’ll be deep into wedding planning when peak training would roll around, but a friend and I have been talking about running the Chicago Marathon this year, and I actually think I’ve got myself psyched up to do it. I had a really good first marathon experience, and while I wasn’t sold on doing another one, it had more to do with the training. I’ve taken a bit of a break from running this winter, and I’m starting to see marathon training as a realistic goal for 2014. That said, this is specific to the Chicago Marathon. I don’t really want to just run any old marathon. If it works out that I can’t get in to the Chicago Marathon this goal will be scrapped.
- Complete a 2014 Project Life albumn. I started one on my 30th birthday, and just kind of gave up after a month. Weekly spreads was too much for me to keep up with and when I fell “too far” behind, I just got overwhelmed and quit. This year I’m going to do it one month at a time. Some months will definitely have more than others, but I think this approach will be better for me.
- Blog. I really enjoy blogging as a way to not only keep up with the many internet friends I’ve made but also as a means of journal keeping. It’s always the first thing I drop though when things get busy. So this year (or for the rest of it anyway) I promise to blog at least once a week.
- Improve my knitting and sewing skills and learn to crochet (even if it kills me). I know how to knit and sew already, but I want to get better at both. I also really want to learn to crochet because (as I understand it anway) it’s a lot faster than knitting. I have a basic understanding of how to crochet froma few people teaching me, but I still can’t seem to really wrap my head around it. Part of me thinks I just need to practice and stop trying to be a damn perfectionist about it.
I may add some more goals down the line, who knows. Happy almost February!